Alles m.b.t. het kweken van vogels

Moderators: René, adminrobin

Pet
Forumlid
Contacteer:

Hummingbirds and Sunbirds

Bericht door Pet » 15 mar 2016, 22:29

Hi all,

I am interested in knowing about the Hummingbirds and Sunbirds in Private collections in Netherlands, Europe or elsewhere.

Can somebody tell anyone who is breeding hummingbirds and sunbirds here ?

There were three breeders from Europe who successfully bred hummingbirds in captivity in past.

1. A.J. Mobbs from UK
2. Walter Scheithauer from Germany
3. Jack Roovers from Netherlands

First two breeders had also published very wonderful books about their experiences with hummingbirds and their breeding. They were luckily able to bred some very rare species from South America.

You can read more about Mr. A.J. Mobbs and Mr. Walter Scheithauer here:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/captivehummers.htm

Mr. Jack Roovers had a site which can be accessed here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120717220 ... gbirds.nl/

Many breeders also bred various sunbird species. There is also a book in German language about Sunbirds in captivity. It is called Nektarvögel by Dr. Karl-L. Schuchmann.

Currently, there are breeders who breed sunbirds but nothing is known about different species that are kept, i.e common species we found in some zoos or any exotic rare species ?

Currently, I know Mr. Jacques Ducros from France is breeding many species of hummingbirds. Since 1994, Jacques has been licensed by the French government to possess and breed hummingbirds. Fascinated by them since childhood, he currently has about 100 hummers of different species in a very large aviary built onto their home in Pont de l'Etoile, near Marseilles in the south of France.

In his book It's a Hummingbird's Life Mr. Jacques has also mentioned about "Robert Perez who, without doubt, currently has one of the largest hummingbird aviaries in Europe"

Mr. Jacques also published numerous magazine articles and 3 books on breeding hummingbirds in captivity, namely as, It's a Hummingbird's Life, Hummingbird Care & Hummingbirds: the passion of a lifetime.

So my questions are:

Please share your knowledge about the breeders you know. How difficult is today to import hummingbird / sunbird species for breeding purposes and pleasure of keeping these beautiful birds ? Anyone here have contacts with current breeders mentioned above ? Do these breeders sell their birds ? How these breeders managed to import various species of hummingbirds and sunbirds ?

Please also share your experiences if you are breeding hummingbirds or sunbirds i.e. species, care, etc.

Thanks for your time.

Plaats reactie